Sunday, April 1, 2012

My top 100 films of the decade (That I watched) 41-50



49. About Schmidt 
 
– This highly underrated movie really got to me because it’s such a real performance from Nicholson, that I can’t help but be a little peeved that the movie didn’t get as much attention as others. Say what you want about the story but Nicholson made me believe I was watching something real, a very important factor for qualifying movies on this list, and he did a spectacular job.

48. SAW 


– Bash its limitations all you want. Hell, feel free to laugh at the cast, but make no mistake, this is the best horror/suspense movie to come along in a long time. With one of the most original villains and one of the best premises ever as the basis for an anti hero, the original SAW shows just how good a movie can be based on its ending, which is one of the top twenty endings I’ve ever seen in my life. Too bad the other 6 installments don’t count for much.

47. V for Vendetta 


– Is the book better? Duh. But that doesn’t mean this movie doesn’t kick some serious ass. So what if the Wachowskys Americanized it to no end? Hugo Weaving was simply sensational and that’s saying something as his character always had a mask on. Speaking of the character, V is simply one of the most enjoyable characters ever to grace the screen or a comic book, period.

45 & 46. Grindhouse (Planet Terror/Deathproof) 


– I don’t think I’ve ever had THAT much fun in a movie theater without trying something freaky on my date. The double movie goodness that was Grindhouse proved that Tarantino and Robert Rodríguez were made to develop spectacular B-movies in between great flicks. That I laughed, screamed and whooped so hard should be a good indicator at the quality of these flicks. But if that’s not enough, one movie has Kurt Russel playing Stunt Man Mike and the other has a female heroine with a machine gun leg.

44. 1408 


– When was the last time a PG-13 movie scared the crap out of you? Been a while huh. Well look no further, this John Cuzack driven suspense horror film pits him up against a hotel room. I’m sure it sounds dull and that we all have at least one Motel 6 story of scary things regarding hygiene that could also scare our wits out… but this isn’t about hygiene. This isn’t about evil spirits or a ghost. To quote Samuel L. Jackson, it’s about an evil fucking room… and it is AWESOME.

43. 40 Year Old Virgin 


– 


Cringe worthy moments courtesy of the world’s most believable elder virgin, this movie just made me laugh till it hurt. Great script, awesome premise, endless fun at the expense of poor Steve. Between this and Michael Scott, I don’t know where he’s better… I’m lying, there’s no beating Michael Scott.

42. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl 




– The Best Pirates movie by far and probably one of the best character introductions ever. Seeing Jack Sparrow on the mast of his sinking ship was almost worth the price of admission. Lucky for me, the rest of the movie was also a great experience.


41. Talladega Nights 


– “Dear eight pound baby Jesus”… That phrase alone is enough to get this movie on my list. Classic Farrell in one of his best movies showing that nothing can beat Wonder Bread. 

No comments: