Saturday, March 31, 2012

My top 100 films of the decade (That I watched) 61-70

70. Batman Begins 





– The impossible is possible. The Batman franchise was able to resurrect after Batman and Robin thanks to Christopher Nolan and company. A great beginnings story that shows a very real take on where our esteemed Mr. Wayne comes from.

69. Iron Man 






– Unlike it’s watered down sequel, the original Iron Man had Robert Downey Jr. nailing Tony Stark without going overboard and showing an origins story that truly deserves to be watched. By the way, I think it was the best super hero film of the decade.

68. Fantastic Mr. Fox 




– Quirky and loco. Wes Anderson delivers another great movie, this time based on Roal Dhal’s classic. Is this word for word the same as the book? Hardly. This is a funny, upbeat, contemporary and very Andersonian version of the classic. Add to this some pretty interesting animation and just a knife wielding rat, and well, you’ve struck gold of the whistling kind.

67. Drag me to Hell




 – Raw, disgusting, scary, really messed up. All these words and more can be used to describe Drag me to Hell but suffice to say that I think Sam Raimi put all of his Spider Man born frustration into the making of this awesome horror flick. If you want scenes that can make you scream and gag with the best of them, few people can do it better than Sam.

66. The Ring 




– Atmosphere. It’s what makes or breaks a horror suspense film and The Ring is one of those movies with great atmosphere. Is the movie flawless? No. But it does scare the way it has to. And what’s the best part? They say the original Japanese version is even scarier.

65. Juno 




– A fun movie that brought back the hamburger phone and brought me such great words as guesstimation. Why so high on this list? Soundtrack, acting, script, and dialogue. Nuff Said.

64. Lost in Translation 




– Bill Murray makes this film and he feels so real and sad that I can’t but feel for the character. Maybe a bit high on the list now that I think of it, but since the feeling was so real for me, I don’t mind it that much.

63. No Country for Old Men 




– Hell of a movie that makes you wonder if Javier Bardem should even consider taking on a role that is considered anything on the lines of normal. Pacing is odd, the premise is odd but the delivery of everyone in this film is classic.

62. Superbad 




– Never before have I enjoyed seeing so many interpretations of a penis before in my life. Further explanation means you didn’t see the film.

61. Stardust 





– There’s nothing better than a lovely surprise and that’s what Stardust was for me. A movie towards which I had no expectations and ended up extremely satisfied with, thus further proving that I’m a Neil Gaiman fan, because I went to see the movie without knowing he’d written it. 

No comments: