Saturday, March 31, 2012

My top 100 films of the decade (That I watched) 71-80

80. What Women Want 


–  There is simply no way in hell anyone can convince me that they wouldn’t want to know what a woman was thinking at any given moment. True, maybe you wouldn’t want that to be permanent, but some sort of hint at what’s going on in there? Of course any guy would. Add to this that Helen Hunt and Mel Gibson actually have pretty great chemistry in this film and that the movie gives a glimpse of how an ad agency works, and you have a winner.


79. Oldschool 




– “You ma boy blueeeeeeee!!!” and “Let’s go Streaking!!!!” Those two catch phrases alone are enough to make me absolutely love this movie. And just in case, I actually consider Oldschool to be the spiritual successor to Animal House and that ain’t no laughing matter, or is it?





78. Garden State 




– How many times have you felt disconnected from reality? When was the last time you truly felt something in the cockles of your heart? This is at the center of Garden State. The story of someone who’s trying to wake up the drowsy inner self of their prescription dulled pain, frustration and anxiety. Great flick, great characters, great script and just great.



77. Ponyo 




– I honestly can’t remember the last movie I enjoyed that had as little violence as Ponyo. A wonderfully creative trip down Hayao Miyazaki’s mind, it gets me thinking why I haven’t seen all Miyazaki films or why this is the only one I’ve seen in its entirety thus disqualifying his other films from the last decade.





76. Tropic Thunder 




– A film where we got to see Robert Downey Jr. earn a nomination for best supporting actor for playing an Australian that method acts to the great beyond and is lost in his character while Tom Cruise channels his worst aspects as a person, and turns them into solid gold on the silver screen. The movie is so well made and so ridiculous that I can’t help but have been surprised at what I got when I sat down in the theater.





75. Borat 




– Unlike Brüno, Borat is super wrong for all the right reasons. To boot, it gave me the opportunity to have one of my best Halloween outfits ever. Very nice!







74. Little Miss Sunshine 




– This film is here mainly because of its script. A fun movie with a lot of character, LMS made me want to have a smack smoking grandparent and a suicidal gay uncle. How’s that for good?





73. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 




– One of only two Harry Potter Films on this list, Order of the Phoenix was a hell of a film with probably the best effects of all the HP films. It’s also one of the darker books and the story is solid. Great acting this time around with a good script that was well paced. Pretty much everything a Potter-head looks for in an adaptation.





72. Traffic 




– Ensemble goodness is often times quite tricky to pull off, just don’t tell anyone involved with this project. I won’t say it’s seamless but I will say that it’s a movie to get you thinking about the state of drug prevalence in the world in general.





71. Crash 




– In the line of Magnolia, Crash takes a series of events, puts them into the mix and by the end you realize that six degrees of separation is actually too large a number for what we truly live. Yes, humanity numbers in the billions, but that doesn’t mean we don’t affect each other. A powerful movie with enough OH SNAP moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. 

No comments: