If you think about the rate at which we live at, well you'd realize that there are no first or second gears. Everything is third on up, everything is on turbo and life is squandered day by day by being in a constant state of rush. That we survive every day is a miracle in itself, that we do it, living, reacting, acting, deciding and multitasking at the speed we do is just beyond comprehension.
In an average day we see at least 400 attempts at someone selling us something. Think that number is overblown, then just count the outdoor media you come in contact with and realize that the real number is probably twice as much. We get assaulted with messages from all sides, at all times and it won't be long before air conditioners come equipped with discount models that offer adverts while you sleep. From cars to margarine and anything in between, before and after, we are being pitched at non-stop.
Add to that the amount of tasks we accomplish in a week and if you break it down task by task you realize that you're just one little machine pumping instant tasks like some hot dog machine. It gets to a point where we almost seem automated. Before long we start forgetting random things because we're so hellbent on doing things faster and faster that we're not even sure if we registered correctly. Don't quite get where I'm getting at? Well let's have a quiz. Answer the following 20 questions and below you will see a point scale that will correllate to your supposed level of disconnection with your life. Don't look for answers, don't double check, just answer or try to answer the questions. If you can, that's a point in your favor, if you find yourself struggling to answer any of these questions, well you don't earn anything. Give yourself five to ten seconds to answer the question, if you take more, it doesn't count. Let's see how you do.
1. What did you have for lunch?
2. What color socks did you have on during the day?
3. When was the last time you cut your toenails?
4. What's your social security number?
5. Do you question if you closed your house door, garage door or stove on at least three times a week?
6. Have you woken up on, showered, gotten dressed and ready for work only to realize it's Saturday?
7. When was the last time you spoke to your parents?
8. When is your mother's birthday?
9. When is your anniversary?
10. Off the top of your head, what were the last five movies you saw in the theater?
11. What songs have you listened to today?
12. What did you watch on tv last time you sat in front of the tube?
13. Do you watch tv, listen to music, facebook and skype at the same time?
14. When is your own birthday?
15. When was the last time you washed your car?
16. What do you weigh?
17. What size shoe are you?
18. What shampoo do you use?
19. When was the last time you changed your tooth brush?
20. How many times have you dialed your extension or your ATM card number into your microwave?
20-17 points: You are fairly well grounded. You don't believe in the zodiac horoscope and you're aware of your surroundings.
16-12 points: Might have a little pecadillo regarding multitasking, but you are still functional.
11-7 points: You were an overachieving C student that got B's based on luck, cramming and cosmic energies unknown to you.
6-3 points: You can barely tie your own shoes, your life is the lost remote control in the sofa.
2-1 points: You manage to stay alive because lady luck is generous.
0 points: how did you even get to the end of this post.
So next time someone insists on being in a hurry, let them pass and take the time to realize life can really let you pass it by.
moving day! - With many thanks to all who have followed Ad Broad over the years, I invite you to follow me to my new virtual office at helenkleinross.com where I'll be ...
1 year ago